- 3 eggs
- 1 large ripe banana mashed
- 1 juice and rind of lemon or orange
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence or powder sugar free
- 1½ cups almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 dates diced (medjool work well because they are soft)
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup dried apricots or figs finely chopped
- 1 cup almonds chopped
- Put the eggs, banana, orange or lemon rind and juice and vanilla into a bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Add all the other ingredients (except half of the slivered almonds) and mix thoroughly then spoon into lined and lightly greased loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining slivered almonds over the top and press gently into mixture.
- Put baking paper over the top to prevent nuts from burning and cook in a moderate (150˚C) oven for approximately 40-50 minutes until top of loaf is firm to touch and bounces back with light pressure.
- Serve warm or keep in the fridge for up to a week for a slice every now and then
- Mix it up with the nuts and have fun adapting this recipe each time you make it
- You can use half a cup of linseed powder or LSA instead of almond meal